Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fire Serpent

2007
Directed by:  John Terlesky
Written by:  William Shatner (creator), Garfield Reeves-Stevens, Judith Reeves-Stevens
Starring:  Nicholas Brendon, Sandrine Holt, Randolph Mantooth, Robert Beltran

From IMDB:
Alien creatures emerge from the sun and attack Earth.

Interesting thing about this trailer - it shows it as being Restricted and coming out of the Lionsgate system - deceptive.  There's nothing in this thing to take it out of prime time.

William Shatner is behind this.  I'm good with that.  He's a smart guy.  Once had the pleasure of drinks with him in LA at a hotel in Century City.  He was a big Bush supporter.  I was a surprised to learn that.
Nicholas Brandan - I understand he's had some substance abuse issue.  Sad to hear so I'm glad to see him working.  Looks like he needs to get the Keds on a few more times a week.  I was a huge Buffy fan.  The movie gets an extra Bloody Eye for that alone.
And Randolph Mantooth - I grew up loving "Emergency".  I'm liking the casting in this bad boy! 
Wow - so this investigator has made the assumption that Brandan is guilty with absolutely no evidence at all.  That makes me think she's an idiot and thus a poor protagonist or antagonist.
One too many scenes with the wise old mentor explaining how it all went so wrong back in the day when the fools were at the reigns. 
So I'm an hour and twenty into this thing and still this dozy investigator is just starting to figure out that Brandan maybe isn't such a bad guy - even though there was never any evidence otherwise.
I believe firmly that with a strong director Brandan could easily be a formidable acting talent.  He's stuck in the Zander role.  He can do more.  I know it.
I've mentioned this before but I HATE it when no one ever hits what they're shooting at.
Not surprisingly - this thing looks like a made for TV movie - I guess cause it was.  Despite that it's kind of a fun little spin.  It's playing like a pretty good episode of STNG.
Although the premise is pretty ridiculous, I love how serious everyone is in their delivery!
Some laughable special effects. 
Our leading lady has obviously never held a gun before.  It's like a watching someone suck on a cigarette who clearly doesn't smoke - it's crazy obvious.
Zander is doing his final scenes in a big silver fire costume.  Not a great choice by the director.
What - that's the end? Wow.  Sudden but okay.
I see it was shot in British Columbia.  Nice.
Well I'll give it 2 Bloody Eyes out of 5.  It really wasn't that good but I wanted to like it.  It probably should have gotten 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment