Thursday, February 3, 2011

Copperhead

2008

Directed by:  Todor Chapkanov
Written by:  Rafael Jordan
Starring:  Brad Johnson and Keith Stone




From IMDB
"Small town in the Wild West is attacked by poisonous snakes."
 
Billy Drago is funny - not funny ha ha.  It's not bad that he's bad.  I'd just like to see him do something else beside same guy he played in The Untouchables.  I bet he'd be good at being good.  I cast him as an absent minded professor.  Then he'd be funny ha ha.
 
So this thing was filmed in Bulgaria.  I shot a film there with Dolph Lundgren many years ago.  What a great place to make movies!
 
Honestly, I'm at a bit of loss here on this one.  The production value was fine.  The acting was a over the top but I feel pretty safe suggesting this was a choice from the director.  They didn't take themselves too seriously - though I suspect some will thing they did.
The CGI was weak.  I can't get too excited about that.
It always lifts my eyebrow a notch or two whenever the old west is portrayed as this crazy place where if you didn't like someone you just shot him and the cowardly sheriff - or no sheriff at all looked the other way.  It simply was nothing like that.   Again - who cares.  We can all suspend our disbelief on this count.
 
But there's nothing even close to a single scare in the whole film.  There's a few chuckles and some groan out loud moments.
The doc (and one or two others) who keeps spewing out the bible verse with a deadly serious delivery gets a bit tired.  I suspect it was meant to be funny.  It's not.
But really the movie is watchable.
I'm going to give it 2 Bloody Eyes out of 5 but it was close to getting a 2.5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment