Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Texax Chainsaw Massacre - The Next Generation

1994
Directed by: Kim Henkel
Written by: Kim Henkel
Starring: Rennee Zellweger and Mathew McConaughey

From IMDB:
"A group of teenagers get into a car crash in the Texas woods on prom night, and then wander into an old farmhouse that is home to Leatherface and his insane family of cannibalistic psychopaths."


So I've got nothing on the PVR because Dusk Channel on Shaw sucks and there's not another proper horror movie on for another four days.  I've pulled this one off my shelf(I have a big shelf).  I just don't remember ever watching it.
An A list cast before they were A list - and not one but TWO of them!
Nope.  I don't think I've seen this.
Leatherface lite.  Jeezuz! 
This film is so full of "that would never happen" moments I'm not even going to bother to list them.
It's like they're making it up as they go along.
Mathew is good. He's a good actor but his character utterly lacks any charm at all.
Mmm? Leatherface is a cross dresser?  Missed that in the past.  I guess Ed Gein had some issues in that regard so the idea's not too bad - just wasn't executed too well.
There is a LOT of screaming in this movie
There's been three opportunities for Renee to escape and either by incompetence or stupidity she failed to take advantage of them.
Descending further into the deeper circles of stupidity.
Who did she think was going to be in that limo?

So I understand the budget was $600,000.  In 1997 before you could buy a good HD camera for a $1.50, that was a very low budget.  These guys got some good production value for that.  Too bad they didn't invest in a script.   Henkel wrote the original TCM.  I suspect he was trying something a little different than simply shooting off the page here.  Perhaps he recognized the talent he had in Renee and Mathew and simply gave them(and the others) too much loose rein?  I don't know - but it didn't work.

I'm giving it 2 Bloody Eyes for the talent and the production value.


No comments:

Post a Comment