Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Fog 2005

2005

Directed by: Rupert Wainwright
Written by: Cooper Layne based on original work by John Carpenter & Debra Hill
Starring: Tom Welling, Maggie Grace and Selma Blair

From IMDB (for the original - the new log line was more like a log page)
"A Northern California fishing town, built 100 years ago over an old leper colony, is the target for revenge by a killer fog containing zombie-like ghosts seeking revenge for their deaths."




So I've seen this already, of course, but if I didn't write about the movies I've already seen then there wouldn't be too many for me to choose from.
And I should also say that I really try to watch a movie as a stand alone piece.  I'm a big fan of the original - as any true fan of the genre is, but I will endeavor not to hold this up against it - for it can only be left wanting.

I suspect any big fans of Smallville (never seen an episode) might have troubles taking the Super out of the boy.
I've read a lot of negative reviews on this one but I'm not having any trouble watching this.  A few hic cups - but minor.
What a coincidence that the boyfriend should happen across upon the return of the prodigal girl friend walking down the road.  I don't like coincidences.
I also don't like it when people don't answer the telephone - or take ten rings to do so.  In my experience most people answer before three rings if they're going to answer and those who don't, have an answering machine that kicks in after three - so when the baby sitter watching Jeopardy takes ninety eight rings to finally grab the phone that's sitting six inches from her hand I'm not anxious - I'm pissed.

Still, when I read in the IMDB comments page - some moron claiming this is the worst movie they've ever seen I can only assume they've only seen three movies their entire life, the Godfather and Rocky being the other two.  Not only is this movie not the worst movie ever made, it's not even a bad movie.
Production value is good, acting is fine, score is good - though to break one of my own rules - is no where NEAR as good as Carpenter's original eerie piano - though I thought I caught a tap or two of the original theme here and there.  Not sure.  It was subtle if it was.

It's hard to scare me these days.  I've seen them all.  Worked on too many sets and have seen the wires.  But I still love horror movies - even when they don't scare me any longer.  And once in awhile I find myself jumping or looking away.  I love those moments.  The Fog (2005) didn't give me any of those moments but I enjoyed the film none the less.  Nice feel and a sincere effort by all the parties involved.

So I'm going to give this 2.5 Bloody Eyes - but it was close to making 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment